The Risks of Having a ZZ Plant in Your Home With Dogs

If you’re considering adding a ZZ plant to your home, but you have dogs, you may be wondering if it’s safe. Unfortunately, the answer is no – ZZ plants are toxic to dogs. Here’s what you need to know about the risks of having a ZZ plant in your home with dogs.

What is a ZZ Plant

ZZ plants are a type of flowering plant that is native to eastern Africa. These plants are known for their glossy, evergreen leaves that are arranged in a zig-zag pattern. ZZ plants are typically sold as houseplants, and they are known to be low-maintenance and easy to care for. Unfortunately, ZZ plants can be toxic to dogs if they consume any part of the plant.


The Risks of Having a ZZ Plant in Your Home With Dogs

The zz plant, also known as the zamioculcas zamiifolia, is a popular houseplant that is known for its low maintenance and ability to thrive in almost any environment. However, before you bring this plant into your home, it is important to consider the risks it poses to your furry friend. The zz plant contains toxic compounds that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling in dogs. In addition, the plant’s sharp leaves can cause cuts and scrapes if your dog comes into contact with them. If you decide to bring a zz plant into your home, it is important to keep it out of reach of your dog and to monitor them closely when they are around it.

Pexels-lokesh-tiwari-8549168 (1)

Is ZZ Plant Toxic to Dogs

The ZZ plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) is a popular houseplant that is also toxic to dogs and cats if ingested. All parts of the plant contain saponins, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, it may lead to tremors or seizures. If you suspect your dog has eaten any part of a ZZ plant, call your veterinarian immediately.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats a ZZ Plant

If you think your dog may have eaten a zz plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. The zz plant is toxic to dogs and can cause a number of serious symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms typically appear within two to four hours after ingestion and can last for several days. If you have the plant in your home, it’s important to remove it immediately and keep it out of reach of your pets.

The Bottom Line

So, is the zz plant toxic to dogs? While the zz plant is listed as non-toxic by both the ASPCA and NASA, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe for your furry friend to ingest. The sap of the zz plant can cause irritation to a dog’s mouth, throats, stomach and intestines, so it’s best to keep them away from your zz plant.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *