If you’re like most people, you probably think of jade plants as harmless houseplants. But did you know that jade plants are actually poisonous?
That’s right, if you ingest any part of a jade plant, you could experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. So if you have a jade plant in your home, be sure to keep it out of reach of children and pets.
And now you know the symptoms of jade plant poisoning. Stay safe out there!
Jade Plant Poisoning: What Are The Symptoms?
Jade plant poisoning occurs when someone ingests parts of the jade plant. Symptoms of jade plant poisoning can include abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you think your child has ingested a jade plant, call Poison Control immediately at 1-800-222-1222.
Is The Jade Plant Poisonous?
The jade plant, or Crassula ovata, is a succulent native to Africa. It is also known as the money plant, lucky plant, or friendship tree. The jade plant is not poisonous to humans or animals, but it can cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested in large quantities. If you suspect your pet has ingested a jade plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.
What Causes Jade Plant Poisoning?
Jade plant poisoning occurs when someone eats pieces of this plant. All parts of the jade plant contain substances that can be toxic, such as saponins and falcarinol.
Saponins are a type of glycoside that can be found in many plants. These components act as a natural defense against predators. When ingested, saponins can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. They may also cause skin irritation if they come into contact with the skin. Falcarinol is a substance that is related to pesticides. It is thought to help protect the plant against fungal infections and pests. Falcarinol can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhea, if ingested in large quantities. It may also cause skin irritation.
How is Jade Plant Poisoning Treated
If you think your cat may have ingested a jade plant, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. If you ingestion just occurred, they may recommend that you induce vomiting at home with 3% hydrogen peroxide given at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of body weight. However, if it has been more than two hours since ingestion or if your cat is showing any clinical signs, they will likely recommend bringing them in for treatment. Treatment for jade plant poisoning usually consists of supportive care to treat the symptoms. This may include IV fluids to treat dehydration, anti-nausea medication to stop vomiting, and pain relief. In severe cases, your cat may need to be hospitalized for a few days for close monitoring and treatment.
Prevention is always the best medicine when it comes to poisoning, so keep houseplants out of reach of pets and supervise them when they are outside to make sure they are not nibbling on any plants in the yard.
How Can Jade Plant Poisoning be Prevented?
The best way to prevent jade plant poisoning is to keep the plant out of reach of small children and pets. If you suspect that your child or pet has ingested any part of a jade plant, call the Poison Control Center immediately at 1-800-222-1222.
What Are The Long-Term Effects of Jade Plant Poisoning?
There is not enough information available to know the long-term effects of jade plant poisoning. However, it is possible that jade plant poisoning could lead to liver damage or other serious health problems. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a jade plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.
is Jade Plant Poisonous
There is no known cure for jade plant poisoning and treatment focuses on relieving symptoms. If the plant was ingested, vomiting and gastric lavage may be recommended. Treatment also includes administration of activated charcoal, which can help to absorb toxins in the gut. IV fluids may be necessary to prevent dehydration. In severe cases, hospitalization may be required.