Most people know that peace lilies are beautiful, fragrant flowers. But did you know that they can also be dangerous? That’s right, peace lilies are poisonous to humans. If you’re thinking of adding a peace lily to your home, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks. Peace lily poisoning usually occurs when the plant is ingested. The symptoms can range from mild to severe, and in some cases, they can be life-threatening. If you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested a peace lily, it’s important to seek medical help immediately. So, what are the symptoms of peace lily poisoning in humans? Read on to find out.
Are Peace Lily Poisonous to Humans
The peace lily (Spathiphyllum spp.), also known as the white sails plant, mayoral, and spathe flower, is a tropical plant that is commonly grown indoors as a houseplant. The peace lily is not actually a lily (Lilium spp.), but it is a member of the Araceae family, which contains plants that are poisonous to humans and animals if ingested. Symptoms of peace lily poisoning in humans include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody stools. In severe cases, peace lily poisoning can lead to liver failure and death. If you think you or someone you know has ingested a peace lily plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.
Symptoms of Peace Lily Poisoning in Humans
Peace lily poisoning in humans occurs when someone ingests parts of the plant, or comes into contact with the sap and experiences skin irritation. The peace lily is a popular houseplant, but it is also considered poisonous to humans and pets. Symptoms of peace lily poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and burning or irritation of the mouth and throat. In severe cases, peace lily poisoning can lead to difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat and airways, and even death. If you suspect that someone has ingested parts of a peace lily plant, or come into contact with the sap, seek medical attention immediately.
Causes of Peace Lily Poisoning in Humans
There are a variety of causes of peace lily poisoning in humans. The most common include ingesting the plant, coming into contact with the plant’s sap, or being exposed to the plant’s pollen. Ingesting peace lily can cause gastrointestinal upset including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can also cause burns to the mouth and throat. Coming into contact with peace lily sap can cause skin irritation and burns. If the sap gets into the eyes, it can cause irritation and vision problems. Exposure to peace lily pollen can cause allergic reactions including sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, and itching. In severe cases, it can cause anaphylaxis.
Treatment of Peace Lily Poisoning in Humans
If you think you or someone else may have been poisoned by a peace lily, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
If the person has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911. Do not wait for symptoms to develop. Get medical attention right away if you think someone has been poisoned by a peace lily.
Prevention of Peace Lily Poisoning in Humans
The best way to prevent peace lily poisoning in humans is to keep the plant out of reach of children and pets. If you have peace lilies in your home, be sure to keep them in a spot that is not easily accessible to young children or animals. If you think that someone has ingested part of a peace lily, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.